St Hilda's College
St Hilda's College was founded in 1893 as hall for women at the University of Oxford, and remained an all-female college right up until 2006. The founder, Dorothea Beale, named the college after the pre-eminent woman in education of the seventh century: St Hilda of Whitby.
As legislation was passed to recognise female students of the University of Oxford, St Hilda's College found itself at the centre of women's society. Now accepting both female and male students, St Hilda's College demonstrates continued academic excellence.